Saturday, June 27, 2009

Our trip to Silverton

This morning Josh and I decided that we need to be doing something every weekend during our way too short time here in Durango. There is so much to do and see. There is a little town right by us here called Silverton. Silverton is an old mining town. Its alot like Tombstone, but nicer. Its only about a 45 minute drive or so. We thought today would be a great time to go check it out so we did. We packed a picnic lunch and grabbed sweatshirts and headed out....thats right I said sweatshirts. It was in the 60's there today. (I never thought that I would be dressing in jeans in the summer.) The drive up was absolutely breath taking. At one point we were up at 10,600 feet. We saw snow up on the mountain tops. I think I enjoyed the drive up and back more than the actual town itself. There wasn't much to do but go into little shops and stuff. We just walked around, looked at a huge steam engine close up and ate at a fabulous little restaurant called "The shady lady". It was my type of place...When I saw it I thought "wow, they named a restaurant after me..hum."
This is a picture of a hot spring we found on the side of the road.
The kids and I at a waterfall we found on the way.

We found the local ward building...it was super tiny. I don't imagine there are very many memebers in such a small town.

The fabulous shady lady. It was an interesting place. We had some fries and root beer floats. We heard the shady lady herself saying that in the late 1800's there were 32 brothels within three blocks. The shady lady was the last one standing. It was turned into a restaurant in 1947.

Mackenzie and I enjoying our little field trip.

Josh and the kids in front of the scary steam engine.

Here is a picture I took as we were coming into town. It is sooo small. You can see the entire city.

Here is a pretty picture of the view.

Snow!!!!!

More pretty moutains.

1 comment:

Rushele said...

LUCKY!! I'm wearing VERY lightweight pants right now cuz the maternity capris I had on earlier were driving me nuts....I'm so hot!!!
I love that your restaurant was once a brothel! My kinda place to eat.
I miss you sooooooo much Trishy!!!