Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The importance of education

The past couple of years I have been longing to go back to school. These past couple of weeks it has really really been on my mind. I have been debating if its the right time or if it is the right thing to do. Growing up I always thought that my only role in life was to be mother. I know that being a wife and mother are the most important things that I will ever be, but I have realized that I can also accomplish so much more. I need to use the talents that I have been given and also find new ones. Today I am so excited to say that the debates going on in my head are over. My sister showed me a wonderful quote from president Hinckley from a talk he gave in the November 2006 Liahona.

It says this....
"Relief society stands for education. It is the obligation of every woman of this church to get all the education she can. It will enlarge her life and increase her opportunities. I will provide her with marketable skills in case she needs them.


Now the hard part is making up my mind on what I want to do. I would love to be a nurse. Before my mission my major was dental hygiene. aaaahhhhh. I welcome any suggestions. I will keep you all updated on my adventure.

5 comments:

Rushele said...

I totally feel the exact same way, and have been debating that same issue for a while now also.
Then, when we had conference a couple of weekends ago it just felt like that was what I was supposed to do. Especially since one of the talks in our adult Saturday session was specifically on gaining and furthering your education.
Now I just need to take those first steps to get me going.....so overwhelming!!

Jonathan and Sarah said...

As Rushele said... I too have been debating this. I actually have always wanted to do dental hygiene but ASU didn't have that program and that's where I got my scholarship to. I would do it here in Thatcher, but they also don't have that program. I really want to do Nursing. I'm just nervous about actually doing it. I want to raise my baby and I would feel bad not devoting all my time to the babe. AGHHHH! I've been debating this for a while.

Nora said...

I graduated with my associates degree the night after my first child was born. Then when we felt it was right for us to move back up to Flagstaff for my husband to go to NAU, I decided I might as well go too. He ended up stopping realizing that he already had a degree in what he really wanted to do. Then 2 years later we moved back down to Tucson but I still felt the need to keep going. I have had a nagging thought several times that I may be the one who has to provide for our family one day. Scary huh? Anyway, pregnant with twins, working at Safeway 30+ hrs/wk and going to school F/T I finally graduated with my bachelors. I was due in 2 months so I was not allowed to travel up to Flag for my graduation--the second college graduation I didn't get to walk in. Now I have 2 college degrees sitting on a shelf doing "nothing." But at least I can say I didn't quit and feel very accomplished and that is a feeling worth working for. Getting started is very hard, enduring is even harder but you will not regret it.

Teri said...

I think the best thing is to follow the spirit. I love school and cant wait to go back. but right now I get to be a mom with my kids. They only stay little for so long and I want to enjoy that. When they are all in school I will have plenty of time to go back. good luck :) missed you at our meeting....

The Reed Family said...

Definitely a worthy goal I'd say. I loved college!! I sometimes miss writing papers (I know weird huh?) Really even with little kids I'm sure you could pace it so it would work. Buenas Suerte! (i'm almost fluent j/k)