Sunday, November 2, 2008

let the games begin........

Well the wonderful day has arrived my friends.....Braden has used the potty....thats right, Braden has used the potty and really actually enjoys it I think. The other day I was changing his diaper and realized that I didn't have my diapers close by so he got up to run around before I could get back to put on his diaper.(dont worry, he was already clean by that point) Anyways, I asked him if he wanted to try the big boy potty and instead of screaming no, he wanted to try it out. He did number one and two. HOLY COW. I am very proud of the little man.....but where do I go from here? I obviously have never potty trained anyone before so all of you mom's out there need to give me some ideas. I am a bit intimidated of starting the potty training experience. I hear so many bad things. So, any input is appreciated!!!! HELP!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

get ready for some serious HELL!!! I started throwing away undies so i wouldn't have to clean them up anymore. Call me if ya need help, Ciella is officially potty trained!

Rushele said...

Congrats Braden!!! Good job!
And good luck to you mom! I felt the exact same way about potty training. Even thought about trying to pawn Raegan off on my mother-in-law since she seems to be the potty training Guru!
She just suggested to me that when you and child are ready to really work at it then just start by one day giving him all salty snacks so that he'll be really thirsty, thus drinking (and peeing) a lot. Just make sure you can be home with him and dedicate a lot of time to running back and forth to the potty. That seriously worked best for me cuz after a couple of days like that with Raegan she just knew when she was feeling it and knew that we ran to the potty when that feeling came, and it was soooooo much easier after that. Still have plenty of accidents, and I bought the plastic diaper covers that are generally used over cloth diapers to put on over the undies when we had to go out and I didn't want to risk a potty accident in the car. Make sure you take extra clothes with you everywhere until you're confident that he is doing really well!
Raegan still has to wear a pull up at night though. She sleeps pretty heavily and wakes up every morning with it wet still. I haven't been wanting to wash sheets EVERY day, so we still use the "night time panty".

The Reed Family said...

Hey Trish...wow the hardest part of being a parent I think. POTTRY TRAINING!! I would have to say I also threw away several pairs of underwear so I wouldn't have to clean them. We also used pull ups at night but I wouldn't put it on until after Carter fell asleep. So he never really knew he was in a pull up. And I also stayed home quite a bit in the very beginning and took extra clothes everywhere for a long time. the advice I got which I think was good for me (maybe not all) was once I started the underwear never go back to diapers. I know people who have tried and then went back to diapers and tried again later and it seemed to work, but if I had gone back to diapers I don't know when I would have wanted to try again so we just stuck it out. Ughh...this is going to come way too soon with Hunter!!