Friday, October 10, 2008

Dedication to Nana

As you can see, Trish has decided to dedicate the blog background to National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. My mom's mother, 'Nana', died of breast cancer May 20th, 2000. It's easy for me to remember the date because I entered the MTC May 24th, 2000. My mom did't want to tell me Nana had passed because I was so excited to go on my mission, and she didn't want me down. I told my mom she was part of the reason I was going, and her passing was a big part of the gospel message. Nana wasn't an LDS member, but was greatly involved and interested in our church activities. I would think to myself all throughout my mission that perhaps she was there, listening to the message I shared with the people (even though it was in Thai). She had a long battle with cancer, and it was tough to see that take such a toll on such a wonderful person, and family. She was the best grandma in the entire world, and being the second oldest grandchild, I was really close to her. I tell Trish all the time that Nana would have loved her! I really do miss her a lot, and this month is special to me. A personal reason for the construction project I am working on (Cancer Treatment Center of America) is Nana. I know she loved me, and we love her so much.

1 comment:

Rushele said...

It sounds like Nana was a very wonderful person!
Scott also lost a cousin that he was pretty close to, to breast cancer. Her sister was actually going thru chemo for breast cancer when she passed away. His family has had to deal with a lot of that, so it is rather special to have others pay tribute to those who've battled the disease. They truely are strong individuals!!!