Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In need of some mommy help


So I am sure everyone that has children has at sometime in their life thought "I $DON'T WANT ANYMORE KIDS!!!" This week has been a really trying one for me to say the least. For those of you that are familiar with our little guy braden you know that he has been quite the handful. Everything from the beginning has been hard...lets start with labor shall we...Bradens labor was a good 32 hours before a c-section was offered. He was stuck on my pelvis. At 4 months old he started with ear infections, ended up having to get tubes in his ears because of his horrible ear infections...poor little man. Then he has had a severe speech delay which has caused much frustration for him which has resulted in many horrible horrible temper tantrums which I don't blame him for, I can't imagine how frustrating that would be not to talk. ANYWAYS. The reason for this post is mainly for me to vent about my extremely rough week with this little guy and also to get some comforting words from understanging moms out there....please say someone can make me feel better. You know when your child is giving you a rough time, you often forget that you aren't the only one out there that is contemplating running away with some gypsies. Braden is an extremely strong willed child. I don't want him to loose that strong will, its just hard to deal with a strong willed three year old that pretends he cant hear you, or that he no habla ingles. I understand that he may be having a hard time adjusting to the move and all but I don't know how to fix that. someone, anyone? any and all advice is very welcome.

4 comments:

Jonathan and Sarah said...

Sorry Trish! I'm new at this... All I can say is that my baby is a GOOD baby and he's only two months old and I've already had times when I've felt bad that I've been frustrated with him. How sad is that?! The point is, Heavenly Father picked Moms to be the ones to rear these children because he knew that WE COULD DO IT! Not that men couldn't... but they wouldn't do nearly as good of a job. Times get tough but think of all the good things about your kids that you wouldn't trade for the world!

This is a good quote:

"It all works out, don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in him, if we will pray to him, if we will live worthy of his blessings, he will hear our prayers."

- Gordon B. Hinckley-

Rushele said...

I'm so sorry, but I had to laugh when you said that he's so strong willed and he acts like he can't hear you, or no habla ingles!! And I only had to laugh because that is Scott's #1 complaint about Raegan, and I have to say, it's hard on me too!!
I can't sympathize with him adjusting to the move because we'll probably be here til we die, but I can say that for me I have to try and remember that sometimes it's o.k. for me to take the time out and just give myself a few moments away from the irritating child to gain a little perspective and get myself composed so I don't beat her senseless..... We've tried with Raegan to start out our day asking her what type of day she's going to have and what kinds of choices she'd like to make (to ensure it's a good day). From then on we try to stay calm as we remind her that this choice you're making is going to have the result of a priveledge being taken away, and we only remind ONCE. Then consequence happens, regardless of her reaction. She's also only allowed to be upset or throw a fit in her room, and then when she's ready to come out and talk to us like a big girl and use big words then she may come out.
Anyhow, just a little bit of what we've been trying, hope it gives you something to work with. It's seemed to help us out so far. Not always perfect, but it helps!!
Good luck, and please call/text and let me know how things are going. And vent if you need, I miss you!!

Jonathan and Sarah said...

Hey, there's a Q&A in this month's Ensign about parenting... I didn't read all of it but you should check it out

Nora said...

I hear ya! My oldest was/is still that kind of child--one who wants to make you pull your hair out. Just a few of her antics from ages 3-4:
Dusitng her bedroom on NAU campus not one or 2 but 4 times with an entire container of baby powder

Taking her diapers off constantly to the point that we duct-taped them on her for naps and bedtime, because she painted her crib etc with poop,

dropping a tape measure on her baby sisters head
(actually I think she did it on purpose, now that I think of it)

dumping an entire bottle of green food coloring into the fish tank to the point that the water was pitch black

sneaking out of her bedroom (we barricaded her door with two gates, one atop the other and she still got out) while we were napping on a Sunday afternoon and ended up in the complexes pool naked with a bunch of strangers

Just to name a few---but this too shall pass, and then you have the screaming, defiant, "You're mean and I hate you!" fits of a 7-8 year old. But you will look back on these silly things he does and laugh one day and think to yourself "I made it through all that--I can do anything."

Hang in there cousin-in-law